Tuesday, June 10, 2008

When did it become all business?

Have you ever been with a group that is taking WoW a little too serious? A group that points out each raid members mistakes and lashes out at people for those mistakes. A group who leaves you out of a raid for showing up 3 minutes early instead of 10-30 minutes early? How about a group where only officers are praised and everyone else is treated like raid fodder?

As you may have guessed, I am talking about my current guild. It saddens me that my old guild chose to merge with a new guild that said they were "just like us". Well apparently they didn't know what that meant. We were friendly and nice to each other. We actually liked to play with one another. I mean, when does the game become all business?? Is it crazy to want to be in a guild where people are genuinely nice and friendly? People like both progression and sarcastic banter? It is almost as depressing as seeing this stance for the first time.

Our guild is the type that have a filter in Vent and ignore the 18 of us in there so they can talk only among officers (not just for strategy, but for the entire raid). That kind of guild. The kind of guild where, when you make a suggestion they say "please see your class officer to discuss that" when the issue has nothing to do with your class. Let me also say that I always bring my own stuff. I know this seems small, but when everyone else depends on consumables from the guild and I bring my own (even friggin scrolls) then I think that is saying something. 1337 dps and I am cheap to have around...what more could you need!? =D It more than my own ability though. It is a culture of controlling the raid fodder. That's all everyone is to the officers, cattle to fill out the flock.

Ok, I could go on for days, but I will stop there. My current dilemma is whether to keep raiding, quit raiding and do other things or just plain quit WoW. It has come to the point where I am sitting in a raid with my hand on my forehead like I am being told my dog needs a $20,000 surgery. I want to enjoy this game again, not feel like i am showing up to a 9-5 where I call people to do surveys about which soap they use (true story). I mean, I know I am not the guru of WoW, but I do my research and have a good understanding of my class and how a raid should be built. Noah wasn't the best carpenter, but he had a good idea how to get the job done. You wouldn't try to explain to him what a hammer was.

I am taking a first step tonight. A new guild has said I may join them for a trial raid run this week (maybe only one night). The idea is both intriguing and frustrating. I want to leave my guild, but I do not want to look like I am being a complete jerk. Oddly, I do enjoy some of the company of the guild (mostly people who came with me in the merger). It is just the core group is a real pain to do anything with and not be treated like I am primitive to their awesome advanced knowledge. So, should I just say "I am trying out a new raid/guild" or should I fluff in case it doesn't work out ("I am just helping a friend's guild out"). I guess it doesn't matter. I do not want to quit the game because I do not like my guild. I would rather quit for WoW2 or something equally as fun...like this!

Either way, hopefully the new guild likes a survival hunter and the old guildies that I get along nicely with won't be too upset (maybe they will leave too!). I do take solace in the fact that I am not alone, other guild members feel this way, but they are afraid to say anything for fear of persecution. It is time to take a stand (uprising?)! Sadly, talking will not help, tried that already with no results (actually I was told to not bother myself with officer concerns; apparently I do not have my shweet offishers badge).

By the way, who wouldn't want a survival hunter in their raid to expose the weakness! What would you do!?

3 comments:

Dammerung said...

Well, if you've already tried to talk to your guild leadership about it and it looks like you have. I would go ahead and make a nice post explaining why you are leaving and leave. And then I would look for a new guild.

I've never really been in your situation though so take it with a grain of salt.

Anonymous said...

"Goodbye Posts" never really go over as anything but QQ-ing. If it helps you feel better aboout leaving, go for it, but personally - I'd just say goodbye in guild chat or explain it there...or on vent.

Honestly, after what I know about you voicing concerns about raid matters and being ignored (except the time your officer was MIA and you lead and switched things up), I would just say screw it.

Find a raid that's fun. You may have to go on a few trial runs here and there...or sit outside SSC so random raiders can inspect you and chat with you. "Make friends in high places" so to speak.

It will take some searching on your part, but I'm sure there's a raid out there you'd fit into.

:)

Nomakk said...

@Dammerung - I do want to be polite, but these guys are so arrogant and uncaring, it may not be worth the effort...ya know?

@One - I think your right, time to be my own marketing tool. Just stand outside of SSC/TK/MH and hope someone says "Hey that epic'd hunter isn't guilded!! :)