Monday, June 2, 2008

My Best Friend II

So, a while back I blogged about my pet and my ideas for pets and their need for more depth (Here). I had so many ideas that I needed two entries to cover them! So, here is part two!

Let me start by saying I have 3 pets and a use for all 3, which is not necessary, I could easily use my cat for all 3. My cat is for PVP (stealthy with me), my wind serpent for raiding (lightning breath FTW) and my bear for instance solo runs (tank it for me!). That reminds me, I should make an "Instance progression" segment for my attempts to solo Outlands instances! All of that being said, I am sad that I can't simply have more depth to my pet experience. Why can I not do pet quests? Why is there not a quest for a rare pet, a quest that is hard and has a cooldown timer on re-trying it?

3) Pet Quests. This kind of carries part of Idea #2 in Part One. Simply, why can't I have a pet daily or pet quest that requires my pet to do something on her own. Like, she must solo Ragnaros and I get a Legendary bow!? Ok, that's just nuts, but just as likely as pets getting some love! Seriously though, is it so hard to have something for Sadie to do? Catch a fish, skin a clefthoof or even build a Gnomish-device of some sort? Clearly my bear could catch some fish and my cat could devour a clefthoof for its skin and meat. It could even fail sometimes "Soggy clefthoof meat" or "Torn Clefthoof leather" which would sell to the junk vendor.

Wouldn't it be amazing to have a quest where your pet had to get killing blows in PVP battlegrounds. Maybe the quest would just be for your pet to be a part of kills. "Nomakk, have your cat slay 20 enemies in the struggle with the horde" Vandaar said. Reward: 10 Sporeling snacks and 5 Scrolls of Strength V or something equally helpful to your pet. Maybe some other buff food like +2% dodge or "Chance on hit to increase haste by 100".

4) Pet armor - This is something that would have to be handled very carefully. We do not want pets to be too powerful. Which reminds me, shouldn't a Beast Master's pet be stronger than him? Is that not the idea? God I could rant here, but I will save it for another day. So, pet armor! :) I am thinking bracers, helmet, and chest plate are applicable and maybe a neck piece. Simple and possibly invisible? I say that because it scares me to think of silly pets with huge helm's on. I would want subtle armor. yeah, this idea would really need to be done carefully. Maybe we can all discuss this later...of all my ideas, this one worries me the most, so I will discuss it no further!

5) Pet sanctuaries - The best example I can think of here is Zul'aman. Locations that pets perform better. I mean, who knows how to attack a bear better than an opposing bear? If I tamed one, this is his fight to shine! Against the bear boss and mounts my bear has +10% chance to hit and chance on hit to receive a raid buff "Bear aggression" which increases each raid members chance to find weaknesses (get critical hits) by 3% for 15s. Something of that nature.

Then we fight the dragonhawk boss. Lets say you happen to have a dragonhawk stored away!? Grab him and throw him in the fight. He has +5% resistance to fire and enrages on the sight of other dragonhawks. His enrage increases his attack speed by 20% and gives the raid a buff of "Dragon's spirit" which increases fire resistance by 100 for 30s.

Did you tame a Lynx? For this one, perhaps any cat should work? Debatable. Regardless, the Lynx fight has cats getting an increase to focus regen by 50% and critical chance increased by 5%. Every time the Lynx hit full energy the raid is healed for 2% of their total health and every time he crits, the raid is replenished with 10 rage or energy and 100 mana.

I mean, we could go on all day as to how great ZA would work for this idea. I mean, it could even work negatively. Perhaps if you have a bear for the Dragonhawk boss they have a chance to be disoriented with bewilderment for 10s and become worthless. Maybe flying creatures fear the Lynx and have their chance to hit reduced by 30% as they get a debuff "attacking with fear".

What about a zone being a pet sanctuary? Snakes in Zangarmarsh have +20% hit points. Cats in Nagrand have +30% outdoor movement speed (oh yeah, it stacks with other movement enhancement buffs). Perhaps dragonhawks hate blades edge mountains (dead dragons on spikes anyone?). So, they get the "attacking in fear" debuff while they fight there.

This isn't an enhancement that would need to be a part of every instance or every zone. It simply would again create an incentive to having multiple pets with multiple uses. These zones could have roaming stable masters. Maybe the troll Instances and dungeons always are pet sanctuaries, makes sense. Maybe some places have a generic pet enhancement. In Hellfire Citadel all beasts have "Magtheridon's enraging presence" which increases their chance to crit with spells and physical attacks by 1% (this could include shifted druids). It would be amazing for planning and definitely create some more depth!

I could do this all day! =D Perhaps I will do a part II and IV and V and....well, let's see what you all think of part II first! Happy trails pet lovers! Thanks again to Pike for the inspiration!

5 comments:

julored said...

Hello,

First let me say sorry for leaving this as a comment. I couldn't find another way to contact you.

I've been reading Scattered Nightmares and I think you are a great source of knowledge for survival hunters. I am putting together a new website to help the wow community and I was wondering if you might be able to put together a guide for survival. I have a template that I'd like the guide to fit, and if you are interested I can send it to you. I will give you attribution and I can also compensate you for using the guide. Some writers have asked if this was going to be a pay site or have gold selling/power leveling ads and I can assure you that neither of those things will have any involvement on the site. I am just trying to get the site up quickly and with strong information from people who know their classes. Please let me know if you have any questions at all, as I am happy to give you more information.

Thanks,

Brandon Sato

julored said...

Oops, I forgot to mention, my email address is julored@gmail.com :)

Anonymous said...

Nomakk,

I think the "daily" quests are an awesome idea...I think to actually get something like that off the ground it'd have to include a "class quest" for everyone. The hunter's version would include their pets. Other class versions could be thought up though to include everyone. I think it's a kickass idea!

Amava said...

Regarding #4, I'd say they need to go even further making BM pet powerful, and make the hunter less of a DPS contributor.

Beast Mastery needs to be even more about the pet than it is today. Its something I said before, and I'd love to see them go further in WotLK. BM should be all about a monstrous pet who does 70% of the damage of the pair. Make it so your guild and raid LOVE the pet.

Right now as a BM, people are amused by the pet, and /dance with or /hug her, and the occasional healer throws a heal her way when AoE or splash damage hits her. I'd love it if I could be topping the damage meters, as I am today, only that the majority of the damage was coming from my Ravager Condoleezza, rather than me.

Of course, they'd have to change it so you have to micromanage the pet, otherwise it would be an NPC doing all this massive damage, but none the less, make the pets true Beasts.

Nomakk said...

@ One Among Many - Other classes? What other classes?? Seriouslly, you may be right, but remember, paladins, warlocks, warriors and shamans have a lot of class specific quests throughout. We as hunters have one: the "go learn to tame pets" quest at level 10. I agree though, class depth quests would be phenomonal.

@Amava - I agree, beast master should be truly pet focused. The idea is to create a powerful companion that is a force to be reckoned with while you play manager. It's sad that warlocks are so good at everything and to boot, have more diverse and skillful pets than hunters can even imagine.