Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My best friend (Inspired by Pike) ~Part One~


This post was inspired by Pike's post! A BM hunter who truly appreciates her class! (Aspect of the Hare)

Pets are likely the sole reason one would decide to roll a hunter when purchasing the game. If you have no knowledge of the game at all, it is comforting to have a companion with you at all times(back-up, if you will). Even if you do, once you watch a hunter solo some elite or just out questing you may desire to have that company through your travels of our great World....of Warcraft.

I find myself wondering sometimes why the biggest selling point of my class (the pet) is also the most restricted aspect of my class. I can get 20 slot bags, a 24 slot quiver and even 5 billion bank spaces! Four pets? That would be a tragedy. Is there a hunter out there who wouldn't save up...500...1000 or whatever gold to have another pet slot. I mean, I am all for balance and keeping the game fair, but who does it hurt to give more pet slots. I would even do an "atunement" for them!

I like to think that because I have had my pet since she (Sadie) was level 8, that I will be able to keep her forever and still bring in other pets that I enjoy. To have to line them up and lay down pro's and cons and then dismiss one is just so cold. Regardless, I have always thought the pets could use more depth! A few idea's I have had:

1) Pet loyalty and aging. Simply, as your pet gets older and you keep her and use her more, she becomes different. She becomes unique. Maybe some innate attributes are learned by the elder pets of our server. Like, a new 70 who tamed a Ravager in outland has the base ravager. Then you have someone who tamed a ravager at level 10 and kept him until 70. The older, aged ravager has through her journeys developed harder skin (2% more armor), more awareness (10 more focus) and has taught herself to be refined and accurate (+1% chance to hit).

My cat has seen countless quests and places. She has endured tireless grinding, deadly pvp and learning to live with her bear and wind serpent companion. She has more game play than new 70 hunters by far. To reward her? She is the same as any other 70 cat. Kinda seems unrealistic a pet wouldn't "develop" into a better pet if you truly stayed loyal to her.

2) Pet transformation. This is an idea I always thought would be amazing. Like a 20 part quest line titled "Heart of the beast" or something like that. Where you went on trials and quests that required the clever use of your pet. As opposed to the brute tank, damage and die role the pet serves now. For instance, a group of NPC's that your pet must solo fight as you wait behind a barrier that stops everything but pets! It is something that would require a lot of creative design, but OMG! would hunters love it!

The quest line could even be a living chain. Like, if you fail to complete a journey too many times then your pet would get a demoted level. My frost sabre is now an Inferior Frost Sabre or a Demoralized Frost Sabre and she has a debuff on her. Something like hit points lowered by 10% and all resistances lowered by 20% (enough to inspire not using that pet). I figure a debuff because a permanent change would be frustrating for someone who makes a few mistakes. Two or three weeks and then you can restart the quest line with your regular frost sabre again (this provides and incentive to have multiple max level pets!).

On the upside, what if you complete the first 10 quests!? Your pet becomes a Noble Frost Sabre and you get to chose an "armor kit" like item to put on your pet. Sorta like grinding a rep for a perma-head enchant. So, you choose the ~30 stamina 15 strength~ kit if your non-bm -or- the ~+3% Pet damage if you are BM. Not those exactly, but you get the idea. Then you complete all 20!! So, you get en "epic" version of the pet kit and the Noble Frost Sabre is now a Marvelous Frost Sabre (or something of that nature).

I am gonna split these ideas up, because I don't want a 500 mile long post! So, more to come on my crazy pet depth idea's! Part II coming soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Overall observation to all ideas noted thus far...

"Cool!"

More in depth response...

Ideas as in depth and greater have been presented to Blizzard since the dawn of Azeroth. I wont hold my breath for something awesome like this, but it sure would rock!

Rabbit Stew said...

hey, these ideas are fantastic.

maybe in the next expansion /crosses fingers

Pike said...

Wow, I LOVE your ideas. Some of the best pet ideas I have seen.

And I'm glad I inspired you! =)